Applying for a visa
You may need a visa to complete a university preparation programme in the UK. Check if you need a visa. To study in the UK at Coventry University London International Study Centre, you will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
Will I be granted a student visa?
To be eligible for a visa, your application must be approved at every stage. The steps are as follows:
- First, you must apply for a programme at the International Study Centre.
- Receive an offer of a place.
- Send your paperwork to the International Study Centre to be checked. Documents requested will include IELTS scores, financial statements, academic grades (if you have already received them), and a tuberculosis certificate.
- You must receive a CAS from a licensed education provider in the UK.
- You must also provide financial statements which prove that you have the funds to cover the course and your living costs.
- If your documents are approved by the UKVI, you may also be required to attend a credibility interview.
When should I apply for a visa?
You can apply for a visa up to three months before your course start date. Apply early to make sure there is enough time for your application to be processed.
How long can I stay in the UK on a student visa?
If your course is six to 12 months long, you may arrive in the UK up to one month before it starts. You are allowed to stay in the UK for an extra four months after your course end date.
Visa credibility interviews
Will I have a credibility interview?
Applicants from certain countries may be required to attend a credibility interview. You can check if you may be invited to an interview here.
What is a credibility interview?
A credibility interview - also known as a visa interview - is designed to ensure that you comply with the UK’s immigration rules. In the interview, an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) will try to establish that you are a genuine student, and not planning to use a student visa for holiday or work. The interview is nothing to worry about; you just need to show that you are serious, and that you have researched your chosen course and university.
Where will I have my credibility interview?
You will be interviewed at the visa application centre when you submit your visa application documents. This interview is via a secure video system and you will be interviewed by a UKVI member of staff who is in the UK.
How should I prepare for a credibility interview?
Make sure you know about Coventry University London and are able to explain why you chose it. The interviewer will want to see that you have a genuine personal interest in studying here, and that you chose it yourself. They will also want you to demonstrate that you are a willing and able communicator.
What questions will I be asked in a credibility interview?
Below are some examples of questions you may be asked. Think carefully before answering, because your answers may raise concern with interviewers, if they think you are not taking it seriously.
Be honest, and avoid yes and no answers as much as possible. Try to speak naturally.
- Why did you choose to study at Coventry University London International Study Centre?
- Why do you want to study in the UK?
- Did you consider any other courses?
- What was the last course you studied, and what have you been doing since completing it?
- Do you have any future career plans?
- How will you fund your studies?
What if my student visa is refused?
If you do not meet the criteria set out in UKVI’s immigration rules, your application will be refused. If you receive a visa refusal, you have 28 days to submit an Administrative Review to the UKVI and challenge the decision made by the ECO. You will need to respond in writing to each of the points raised in the refusal.